History of the Lalor Park Kookas Junior Rugby League Football Club
KOOKAS aka PARKIES
Lalor Park JRLFC was established in 1959 by a group of residents in order to accommodate the local children’s growing sporting needs in the area. They adopted the Kookaburra as their club emblem and that’s where our club’s colours originated from. Initially the club only used the blue and brown and brought in the white at a later date.
The club started off using a field located at Seven Hills High and then permanently relocated to Venn Oval. Some years later the oval received a name change to Cavanagh Reserve in honour of Mr Trevor Cavanagh who has been a member of the club for most of its existence and is one of our life members.
There have been many dedicated committee members over the past 50 years, far too many to name individually. However without these wonderful people committing their time tirelessly to their local club, the Kookas would never have accomplished the record and longevity that it has. Two popular names at the club do stand out, for their life long dedication and they are Frank Heasman and Danny Smith.
Frank has worked tirelessly for the club since the early beginnings and has coached many sides. A true club member, Frank help set the field every week and kept our home ground free of debris and so much more right up until 2015. There are not many local grounds that can say they are a clean as ours after hosting a Gala Day and this is due to Frank’s dedication and hard work.
Danny began playing with the Kookas when he was 5 years old and he went on to be graded with Wests. Danny too has coached a number of sides over the years.
Over the years the Club and its members have celebrated many memorable achievements. Here are just a few notable mentions …
- 1967 – First ever premiership won by our Under 10’s team
- The Club has won a premiership in every grade except A Reserve
- Over 30 players have achieved 10 continuous years with the club
- Over 70 players have played 100 games or more for the club
- We have had many players over the years represent in the top grades including Brett Delaney who is now a life member (played in the NRL for the Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans and in the Super League (UK) for the Leeds Rhinos) and Feleti Mateo (played in the NRL for the Parramatta Eels, New Zealand Warriors and Manly Sea Eagles and in the Super League (UK) for the London Broncos and Salford Red Devils) who are among the current 1st Grade players
- 2008 – Voted Club’s Club
- 2016 – Finalist for the 2016 Blacktown City Sporting Club of the Year
Last Updated – 1 March 2017